Welcome to 2017! A new year and a new start. Have you made any resolutions this year? You can read all about ours here.
- We celebrated New Year’s Eve probably the same way as millions of other parents around the world – by falling asleep on the sofa before midnight after a couple of glasses of champagne. I woke up for the fireworks but could barely keep my eyes open. We did make it out for a meal just the two of us the night before though, but even then we were home for 10pm!
- The big news this week is that we now have a 6 year old. How on earth did that happen? Izzy celebrated her birthday on the same day that school started back, but we did go out for tea afterwards – Italian so she could have her favourite meal, Spaghetti! I was mortified though when her Star Wars balloon came loose and floated up to the very high ceiling – the waitress brought out a large set of ladders and proceeded to balance precariously on the top while trying to reach the balloon with a pair of ice tongs. All in order to reunite Izzy with her birthday balloon. That’s some customer service!
- Then at the weekend Izzy had a party with a small group of friends – they each made their own stuffed toy (build-a-bear style) and played on the soft play. Izzy picked a Kangaroo, which is now her 4th stuffed one, while Clara picked a purple dragon. She named it Fifi, which was no surprise as for the past few months she has been talking about her imaginary dragon named Fifi! Apparently she flies on its back and fights people with a sword.
- We took Izzy to see the new Star Wars film at the cinema as a treat for (finally) filling her star chart. She dressed the part as she got a new costume for Christmas, and I even did her hair like Rey, the main character in The force Awakens
- Izzy has been asking to have Chinese food as she sometimes eats it at school – so her Daddy bought some “beginners” chopsticks that are supposed to be easier to use and we all tried them out one lunchtime with a random selection of Chinese food and sausage rolls. Izzy did really well and ate all hers using chopsticks, even noodles. It was really funny watching Clara eat a sausage roll with chopsticks – she was getting the hang of it!
- I have had this blog for almost 3 years now, starting it when I was pregnant with Clara. I’ve had lots of nice opportunities but I feel like I’ve just been plodding along with it and hopefully 2017 will be the year where I start to make a bit more progress with my blog. To start with I’ve been going through all my old posts and making quite a lot private – they don’t really fit with how I want my blog to look now, but I still want to keep them so that I have a nice record of our family life to look back on.
- I blogged about our New Year’s resolutions.
Happy New Year everyone!
After a short blogging break over the festive period, I’m back with a bit of a round up of 2016 and a look ahead at what this year will bring. We had a lovely Christmas, the girls were both very lucky and got lots of nice things. They enjoyed putting out a mince pie for Father Christmas and leaving out their stockings – and Clara’s little face when she saw Baby Annabell and a new pram on Christmas morning!
She has taken Baby Annabell to bed with her every night (she sleeps in a cot next to Clara’s bed) and is so gentle and loving when she plays with her. Izzy has been practising for a career as a YouTube star with her Vtech Camera – she has been making videos of herself doing the news. She also got a Hatchimal and a Vtech microphone, and has been treating us to a LOT of concerts where she performs Taylor Swift songs.
Like many households we are in full on Christmas mode. The tree is up, presents are bought and wrapped and the turkey is ordered.
- This year I have been really organised. Well, really organised for me – I’m usually rushing about a couple of days before Christmas panic buying last minute gifts. This year I decided that December is manic enough without causing even more stress, so I set myself a target of buying all gifts by the end of November – and I did it. Which is no mean feat with a family my size. With that huge task ticked off the list, it’s meant that this month we could focus on fun and festivities.
To celebrate the premiere of the Frozen Northern Lights animated series on Disney Channel, Izzy and Clara were sent a Frozen Northern Lights Elsa Doll by Jakks Pacific.
The animated shorts follow Queen Elsa and her sister Anna on an adventure to bring the Northern Lights back to Arendelle – and now Frozen fans can help Elsa restore the Northern Lights with this interactive doll. Elsa sings (Let it go – of course), says over 40 phrases and if you wave your hand over the snowflake you can help Elsa find the Northern Lights and create a magical light show. (more…)
It’s only 2 weeks to go until the big day – and those Christmas preparations are in full swing! Presents have been bought, the tree is up, the turkey is ordered and now it’s down to sorting out those finishing touches. But while the presents for under the tree may have been bought, what about stocking fillers? It was an orange and a pack of knickers when I was little, but I think my five year old would think Father Christmas had lost it if he was leaving fruit and underwear in her stocking! So instead he will be leaving a few little toys, bubbles, and some chocolate coins. If you are still looking for some inspiration, here’s a roundup of some small gifts that would be perfect to find in those stockings on Christmas morning.