I have been a bit quiet on the blog over the past couple of weeks. Partly due to spending some quality time with my family over Christmas, partly due to being so busy, but mainly because I’m now into my third week of a miserable cold and cough, which is zapping all my energy. But now I’m determined to get back into blogging and get out all the ideas that are swimming around my head!
We had an amazing Christmas and the girls were incredibly lucky. Of course Christmas Day wouldn’t be complete without at least a couple of tantrums to really ruin the festive spirit, but that’s the reality of any celebration with young children! They got a lot of gifts and now all the toys are out of their boxes and all the Lego has been built… just in time for another load of gifts to arrive for Izzy’s 5th birthday, which is today.
I’m writing this as she is snuggled up next to me on the sofa watching Dora the Explorer. She should be back at school today but it’s closed due to damage from the storm, hence why we haven’t planned to do much today for her birthday. We did go to the zoo at the weekend and out for tea, she’s having a small tea party later on today and she’s got a big party next weekend with all her school friends. So right now I’m just enjoying some peace and quiet for ten minutes before resuming work on her birthday cake!
I wanted to do a little round up of the past year and look at what we would like to achieve in 2016. So here goes…
- Izzy started school, and has settled in amazingly well. She’s started learning to read and write, and has made lots of new friends.
- Earlier this year on holiday she held a snake and stroked a dolphin. She went on the climbing wall for the first time and tried archery, and she moved up a stage in swimming and is now in the big pool.
- She was also a bridesmaid for her Auntie, and got her first medal for dancing.
- Clara celebrated her first birthday, and is now a fully-fledged toddler. She’s learnt to walk and is learning to talk, and her personality is developing all the time. She started nursery half way through the year, which she loves.
- Hubby started a new job and I went back to work after a year on maternity leave, which was a shock to the system, although I did get a temporary promotion so it’s been a successful 6 months since my return.
- I tried skiing for the first time, and laser clay pigeon shooting, and enjoyed trips to Portugal, Centre Parcs and two hen parties in Glasgow and Harrogate, as well as several weddings this year.
- My blog is almost two years old now and has been growing a lot over the past year – at the start of 2015 I started using social media to promote my blog and now have over 1000 Twitter followers. I’ve also had the opportunity to work with some amazing brands and as a result Izzy and Clara have had some really nice new toys, snacks and a trip out to Legoland Discovery Centre.
As usual, when a new year starts it’s an opportunity to look at all the things we would like to achieve in the coming year, or more likely, all the things we would like to change. This year is no different and I’ve made several resolutions.
- Take better care of myself, which includes losing some of this weight that I’ve piled on over the past 6 months (Which as I’m currently in the middle of making a birthday cake and we still have several selection boxes in the house is not going to happen any time soon!)
- Be more organised, in all areas of my life, but especially keeping the house tidy.
- Be more patient, and less hasty, and less distracted.
- Develop my blog more, including posting more regularly and introducing a new series, which is all about helping me with my resolutions. Throughout the year I will be picking a different ‘project’ to concentrate on and write some blog posts about it. And to kick off the series, it is all about getting more organised in the home.
- Be realistic and less harsh on myself. Yes I’m setting myself these resolutions, but I know I’m not going to achieve this overnight, and I know I will fall off the wagon. A lot. But it doesn’t matter. After all, I have an entire year, and that’s a pretty long time.